Professional engineering input in the Aquaculture Industry, helps to minimize Capital Investment while maximizing Feasibility, Animal Health and Animal Performance.
A sound understanding of Species Behaviour helps us to understand Aquaculture System Requirements. And while we consider Specific Species Requirements when designing an Aquaculture System, we do not loose focus of other important aspects of Design :
- Engineering Integrity
hp dezign covers engineering aspects of both Freshwater and Saltwater Aquaculture. Proper Aquaculture Engineering results in minimized Capital Investment, while health and performance of the cultured species are maximized.
Complete System Design ranges from Hatchery Facilities and Equipment to Grow-out Facilities, Water Treatment and Reticulation Facilities & Equipment, Fish Processing Plants and Feed Processing Plants.
The following Image shows a Typical Design of an Intensive Aquaculture Facility (copyrighted) used in an Experimental set-up. Water Quality is continuously monitored and then controlled by means of an adjacent Water Treatment Plant that contains a Primary Settling Operation followed by Mechanical and Biological Filtration. Water is Sterilised before recirculated back into the Culture Unit. Likewise, feeding is applied through an Automatic Feeding System that is computer controlled. Automatic Feeders are fed through a Pneumatic Conveying System limiting the formation of fines in the Feed.
Services and Equipment supplied for both Animal Husbandry and Aquaculture Systems include:
- Project Scope Definition and assistance with System Options and Alternatives
- Re-Engineering of Existing Systems
- Conceptual Design with Cost Estimations
- Feasibility Studies
- Water Treatment Technology
- Effluent Treatment Technology for Waste from Intensive Animal Husbandry Systems
- Feed Milling Technology
- Culture systems such as Ponds, Tanks, Dams, Raceways, Floating Cages
- Water Reticulation Systems
- Sensing, Monitoring and Control Systems
- Project Proposal reflecting Engineering Design with Equipment Specifications and Pricing
- Equipment Supply for both Aquaculture and Animal Husbandry Systems
- Project Management
- Construction and Installation Supervision
- Technology Transfer & Training
Integrated Aquaculture Systems
hp dezign feels very strong about minimising our Effect on the Environment; optimising the use of Available Resources, and utilising By-Products from Animal Husbandry and Aquaculture Systems as well as Food and Feed Processing Plants. We therefore have a very keen interest in Integrated Agriculture and Aquaculture Systems.
Integration of two or more Agricultural, Aquacultural or Industrial Activities may have a very positive effect on the environment and overall Project Feasibility. There are many cases where the output of some Food and Feed Production Facilities could be used as input for creating another Commercially Successful Business. Typical examples include:
- Effluent from Animal Husbandry Systems could be utilized for the production of Algae or Organic Fertiliser production.
- Aquaculture integrates perfectly with Hydroponic Systems
- Warm water Aquaculture could be integrated with any activity producing Thermally Polluted Water (for example Power Stations)
- Aquaculture could be integrated with Crop Farming to optimize water usage and minimize the use of Inorganic Fertiliser. Floating Cages applied in storage ponds on farms in a typical Irrigation Scheme, has great potential. Careful hydraulic design of water inlet and outlet to the floating cages will optimise culture conditions for Aquatic Species under consideration and the Fertiliser Value for the Irrigated Crop.